VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol, primarily means voice transmitted over a digital network. Essentially, what happens is that you use your broadband Internet connection for better phone service.
Calls are routed to the Internet rather than telephone lines. The computer is not necessary, but network resources are needed. The same protocols or rules that are used to send data over the Internet are used to send voice transmissions for that allworx phone system installation is essential.
Image Source: Google
The data are generally sent over the web in packets. With VOIP, these packages also include access to both the sender and the receiver MAC or Media Control Address and the voice signal.
Benefits of VOIP
There are many benefits of VOIP use on traditional POTS or Plain Old Telephone Systems. VOIP can be used to make free phone calls.
1. Because VOIP uses packets, more information can be sent over the network. The data can be compressed, which now uses less space and time, which results in lower transportation costs.
2. More dynamic routing to other routes if the selected route is unavailable.
3. VOIP works on all types of networks, and any IP-enabled device like iPhone, iPad, and others.
4. VOIP is much faster
5. VOIP can integrate all forms of communications, including video conferencing and streaming audio.
6. VoIP works over computer lines and no other additional lines are required.